Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Day That Could Change My Life... Forever.

I woke up this morning and said to myself: 'Hey, I want to be a doctor!'

And so thoughts flew like bullets on rage: what to do, how much will it cost me, what will I specialize, or how will I say this to my boss? The idea kept flitting in my head like tiny birds on a window sill, singing soft melodies over the gentle morning air.

All throughout the day, I had the thought in mind. What if, all the while, all I ever wanted in life was to be a doctor and I just didn't have the courage to admit it and make it come true? So things took a different course this day. I told a close friend, and soon, talk started to spread around the workplace like wildfire. So I decided to tell the senior nurses inside the OR my decision. Ma'am Kathy and Sir Doods couldn't have agreed more. They said it was about time for me to take Med. Even Dr. Diesto thought so, too.

So excitement turned into pride, and as the afternoon whiled away, turned into something that resembled fear. I don't want to think I couldn't make it. I don't want to be pressured either. I wanted to think, that what if I'm going to be a doctor for the rest of my life. Would it excite me still? I needed to think. I needed honest and impartial opinions. I needed time. I still need those, actually.

So, the day ended with my heart still in awe about how people are actually trying to help me follow my dreams. As Doc Sharon said it: Not everyone is made to be a doctor. Yes, I agree. But a good old friend also said: Everyone can find a job, but not everyone is given the CHANCE to be a doctor.

So, I think I'll take the NMAT this April. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment